The lawyer for Enrique Tarrio, former leader of the violent Proud Boys organization, asked a federal judge Thursday for permission to withdraw from three cases against his client regarding last year’s insurrection.
Tarrio plans to represent himself in at least one of the case, attorney J. Daniel Hull noted in the motion filed in the US District Court in Washington, DC
“J. Daniel Hull respectfully moves the Court for permission to withdraw his appearance in this and two related cases,” wrote the attorney, referring first to a civil suit against Enrique Tarrio.
Tarrio has also been accused in two criminal cases, including one charging him with sad conspiracy.
“Mr. Hull is authorized by Mr. Tarrio to represent that Tarrio consents to the withdrawal and that he will proceed in this case [the civil action] pro se,” representing himself, the motion for withdrawal states.
Hull noted, however, that the logistics of getting written consent from Tarrio has been difficult given Tarrio’s “unexpected arrest in mid-March,” his criminal indictment, his pre-trial detention and “his movements between several jails on the Eastern seaboard.”
The judge rejected Hull’s motion Friday because of the lack of Tarrio’s signed consent.
“Although the court understands counsel’s difficulty in communicating with Mr. Tarrio, there is no exception to [the] … requirement to notify the client of the motion to withdraw,” US District Court Judge Amit Mehta wrote.
When Tarrio was apprehended, he was carrying two “high-capacity firearm magazines” for ammunition, police said then in a statement.
Tarrio’s conspiracy charges was delayed” class=”link “>trial on seditious conspiracy charges was delayed earlier this year until at least December.
Rhodes and four co-defenders are scheduled to go on trial on sadied conspiracy charges beginning Sept. 26. They have said there was no plot to attack the Capitol and that their communications before Jan. 6 were about providing security for right-wing figures or preparing for attacks from left-wing antifa activists.
Authorities announced Thursday that a lawyer for the Oath Keepers was charged with conspiracy in connection with the Jan. 6 attacks.
Kellye SoRelle — general counsel for the antigovernment group — is a close associate of Rhodes and also attended the parking garage meeting about Jan. 6, according to officials.
The indictment alleges that SoRelle told others to withhold and “alter, destroy, mutilate, and conceal” items from the federal grand jury investigating the Jan. 6 riot by supporters of then President Donald Trump, Reuters reported
This article originally appeared on HuffPost and has been updated.
- 6 Ways Your Lawyer (and You) Can Screw Up Your Family Law Case
- Bremerton schools on hook for Kennedy's attorney fees
- Former Apple lawyer in charge of tackling insider trading pleads guilty to insider trading, DOJ says
- Black man shot at least 60 times by Ohio police as he ran away: lawyer
- Lawyer: Ohio police officers shot fleeing Black man dozens of times