MARIANNA, Fl (WDHN)— After a lengthy investigation, a Marianna attorney was charged with grand theft and money laundering.
In November of 2021, the Marianna Police Department began an investigation into the Gilbert Law Firm, PA, and former attorney LaDray Gilbert, after complaints were filed that Gilbert failed to provide settlement funds to clients.
According to officials, Gilbert deposited these funds into a trust account and collected the money for his personal benefit. The combined amount of funds that failed to be distributed was over $60,000.
After documents and financial records were reviewed by investigators, it was found that Gilbert would write checks or have checks written directly from the trust account to himself. On several occasions, Gilbert would have multiple checks written on the same date, that would total over $10,000, thus trying to avoid the mandatory reporting. It was also found that once Gilbert received the settlement checks, he would immediately collect a sum of money through various checks for attorney fees, but failed to provide the victims with their portion.
On August 17, 2022, an arrest warrant charging Gilbert with five counts of grand theft and one count of money laundering was issued. Gilbert reportedly turned himself into the Jackson County Correctional Facility where he will await his first appearance.
- Akron police detail Jayland Walker firing shot after footage released
- Hickory attorney discusses client's DWI acquittal, Cody says lawyers help keep prosecutors, law officers accountable | Crime News
- Houston County DA's office speaks on crime in Warner Robins
- Unarmed 25-year-old Black man shot, killed by police in Ohio
- Pages From Brian Laundrie's Notebook Released From Lawyer – CBS Tampa